Although new Marijuana legislation was rolled out today, the sale and distribution of recreational marijuana will not take effect until July 2018.
Until July users with a medical license can still fulfill their prescription with their regular provider.
Here’s what you need to know about the new legislation:
- Distribution of recreational marijuana will be done through 150 Liquor Control Board of Ontario locations
- Stores will only distribute to citizens 19 years and older.
- Illegal Distribution or Sale will result in at-least a ticket or up to 14 years in jail.
- Possession over the limit will result in at most 5 years in jail
- Taking Cannabis over the Canadian-US border will result in up to 14 years in jail
- There will also be a restriction on where legal cannabis users can consume their product such as in public or while driving.
- Packaging, labeling, and marketing will result in penalties of up to $5million or 3 years in jail if products appeal to youth or try to target young potential users.